SS - Orientation Leader (2021)
Orientation Leaders will work with professional staff to support all new student programs, including Orientation, Registration, Summer programs, and Welcome Weekend. All Orientation Leaders must be available for the dates listed below. The right person for this position is passionate about SMU’s mission and is an upstanding member of the SMU Community.
- Speak and present in front of large audiences of students and guests
- Facilitate small group discussions and generate discussions amongst new students, in person and in a virtual environment
- Attendance at all New Student programs (listed below)
- Conduct self in professional manner while working with new students and guests
- Remain substance free during the duration of all new student programs/trainings
- Serve as a resource for a small group of new students during Summer 2021
- Be a positive role model for new students and provide a welcoming demeanor throughout new student programs and into academic semester
- Assist in the preparation of logistics and supplies for new student programs
- Maintain communication with NSOR staff, including checking and responding to emails
- Commitment to inclusive practices in individual and group settings
- Understanding of SMU Mission, Values, and Traditions
- Current GPA of 2.5 or higher
- Current First Year Student, Sophomore, Junior or continuing senior at SMU
- Students who are Resident Assistants, Peer Ministers, or Admissions Ambassadors for the 2021 academic year are not eligible to be an Orientation Leader
Remuneration: Hourly (approximately 100 hours total)
Application Deadline: Friday, February 12 at Midnight
- Filled out application on Handshake - make sure to DOWNLOAD the form to your desktop before filling it out - don't fill it out on a web browser. SAVE the form and make sure it is filled out before submitting.
- Resume and Cover Letter (answering the questions below)
Executive Leader Option:
Executive leaders serve as a part of the NSOR professional staff during the summer and aid in the preparation of training and new student events. To qualify, you must have served at least one year as an Orientation Leader previously. If you are interested in being an executive leader, please indicate this as such on your application and answer the questions below indicated with an XL. Executive leaders will receive an increased hourly wage to compensate for the extra workload. There are two positions available.
Application Opens: January 25
Application Close Date: February 12
In Person Group Interview: February 15-19
Zoom Interviews: February 22-26
Decision Date: March 1
Spring Training Dates (1.5 Hours Training Sessions / Time/Day TBD)
Meeting 1: Week of March 15 (In Person)
Meeting 2: Week of March 22 (In Person)
Meeting 3: Week of April 5 (In Person)
Meeting 4: Week of April 19 (In Person)
Meeting 5: Week of April 26 (In Person)
Meeting 6: Week of May 17 (Virtual)
Meeting 7 : Week of May 24 (Virtual)
Meeting 8: Week of May 31 (Virtual)
Meeting 9: Week of June 7 (Virtual)
Meeting 10: Week of June 14 (Virtual)
Meeting 11: Week of June 21 (Virtual)
Meeting 12: Week of June 28 (Virtual)
Meeting 13: Week of July 12 (Virtual)
Meeting 14: Week of August 9 (Virtual)
Meeting 15: Week of August 16 (virtual)
Virtual NSOR (June 1 - 30 - Online)
1.5 Hour Group Meetings Weekly dependent upon individual schedule
July Melt Programming
Up to 5 hours weekly of prep and programming for new students - virtual
Welcome Weekend (August 26-29)
OL Move In: Saturday, August 21
OL Retreat: Sunday, August 22
Training: Monday, August 23 - Wednesday, August 25
Move In Day: Thursday, August 26
Welcome Weekend: Friday, August 27 - Sunday, August 29
First Six Weeks Programming (August 30 - October 1)
2-3 Hours weekly in the first five weeks of the semester
Cover letter questions:
1. Why do you want to be an orientation leader?
2. How will you represent Saint Mary’s and the Lasallian mission as an orientation leader?
3. What skills do you possess as a leader? What skills would you like to develop as a leader?
4. (XL Question) Why do you want to be an executive leader?
5. (XL Question) What has prepared you to take on a leadership role amongst your peer OL’s?
Questions can be directed to Tricia Dobrient, Coordinator of New Student Orientation
firstname.lastname@example.org ~ or ~ 507-457-1406